jump to contents


Home »Living in Italy »Health Services »

Study in Italy
Italian higher education for international students
italiano  italiano  italiano  italiano  italiano 

Health services

The new European Health Insurance Card is a benefit to European citizens who stay temporarily in another member state.

The Card gives access to immediate necessary care under the same conditions as nationals of that country. It will replace the paper forms such as the E111 for short stays such as holidays or E128 for study currently in use.

Students from EU countries should request the Health Insurance Card from their local health authorities but should also be aware that this Card is being introduced progressively in the different countries and may therefore still be issued an E111 or E128 under the previous system.

Non-EU citizens are requested to take out  private health insurance before leaving their home country and to obtain a consular declaration of its validity for Italy.

Please note that all medical treatment without coverage is very expensive.